Monday 24 November 2014

Pelsall Junction



Here I am Rune
Distance 4.8miles
Total 757 Locks 28 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1134.7 miles

Bit of a slow day for one reason or another. Firstly we have developed a problem with the oven on the boat so I started the day ringing around various places to see how I would be able to go about getting it repaired. Since it is a Calor gas system none of the gas fitters I rang was interested. A boatbuilder that I tried doesn’t do fitting out so couldn’t recommend anyone and a caravan place I tried that sells such ovens (for caravans) don’t do repairs and directed me to the main Calor depot in Birmingham from whom I am still awaiting a reply. The problem is that you are not supposed to touch gas equipment unless you have a Gas Safe Certificate therefore I can’t disconnect the oven to take it anywhere for repair and will have to rely on a fitter coming to me.

After spending half the morning trying to arrange a gas fitter it was therefore quite late before we set off for the day (about 12.30pm) so we didn’t really get very far, particularly since the canal is quite shallow which makes progress slower. The final nail in the coffin for the day was the fact that when I checked the noticeboard at Walsall Top Lock I spotted a canal closure that I wasn’t aware of and that one prevents us from getting to our Christmas mooring destination, so I’ve spent the latter part of the day trying to rejig our route. The one bonus is that tonight’s mooring is in a pleasant rural location rather than the semi industrial of Walsall.

No comments:

Post a Comment