Saturday 29 November 2014

Anglesey Basin



Here I am Rune
Distance 2.9miles
Total 757 Locks 28 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1142.9 miles


Well, as planned we got to Anglesey Wharf but the weather was something of a let-down. The forecast was for a period of sun during the day, well they got that wrong. Never saw a glimpse of the sun all day, it didn’t rain but it was about as dull as it is possible to get. Anglesey Wharf is OK however, we are not far from the M6 toll road but can hardly hear it at all in our bedroom so I don’t think it will keep us awake tonight. 

Probably for the first time on the canal I almost took a wrong turn at Ogley Junction. As I approached the junction for some reason I thought that we were due to go straight on but then saw a log and a load of orange cans blocking the way. It was only after I had slowed in preparation to deal with this ‘obstruction’ that I saw the fingerpost that directed us to the left to get to Anglesey Wharf, straight on would have taken me into a dead end that was the old Lichfield Canal that went through to the Coventry Canal at Huddlesford Junction. It’s a pity that it’s closed because that would have provided me a way around the Birmingham stoppages!

Just beyond Ogley Junction and immediately before Middleton Bridge we had an odd experience whereby the boat rose over something on the canal bed. I don’t know what it was but whatever it was, it wasn’t hard. Certainly made the boat rock and made quite a big wave across the canal, will need to look out for it on the way back down.

Since there seems to be one or two good walks around here we may well stay until Monday to take advantage of them. Monday being both pension day and 1st December or the beginning of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment