Thursday 17 September 2015

Nottingham (2)



Here I am Rune
Distance 0 miles
Total 1444 Locks 72 Tunnels
Running total mileage 2067.1miles 

Today was an opportunity to have a general nose around Nottingham since we are remaining here for a few days until a parcel that I have ordered is delivered. The overriding impression of Nottingham from today’s perambulations is that it is very much a work in progress. Wherever you go they seem to be developing or building something although there isn’t the air of affluence that we have seen in other cities (Liverpool, Sheffield, Birmingham and even Lincoln). There are some of the high class shops (Harvey Nichols etc) but it still doesn’t give the place the same feel as, say, Sheffield.

Robin Hood statue outside of Nottingham Castle
Having attended two OU Summer Schools in this city it became apparent that I obviously hadn’t ventured out of the University very much on either visit (although I do remember going to the Trip to Jerusalem pub) because not very much of the city seemed very familiar.

On a lighter note I had a mind to make use of a city cycling scheme which I saw when I went to the local shops this morning. Apparently you sign up your mobile phone online and then can use the bikes free on a daily basis. The theory was good but after I’d signed up I then realised that actually finding a docking station where there were any bikes was going to be a major issue. Having walked around the town the only docking station with any bikes at all was in the coach station where there were three, everywhere else was empty.
We should once again be remaining where we are tomorrow awaiting the arrival of the parcel.

No comments:

Post a Comment