Saturday 6 June 2015

Heatons Bridge (2)



Here I am Rune
Distance 0 miles
Total 1156 Locks 68 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1677.1 miles

Today turned out to be an unplanned stand-still as a result of the weather. The intention to get some way up the Rufford Branch went out of the window when the wind that began yesterday blew up to a Force 6 today (gusting to Force 8!). I wouldn’t intentionally put to sea in that so I don’t see why I should set off on the canal in it either. Still had to bike to Burscough Bridge to get the week-end shopping but it really wasn’t worth the effort of taking the boat, particularly since we didn’t have to. If forced by circumstance I can navigate the boat in these conditions but it’s not particularly pleasant and mooring up again can be a real pain. I can’t believe just how windy this year has been so far, it seems to have blown a constant gale since the end of March.

If the wind abates we’ll try moving onto the Rufford branch tomorrow, otherwise we’ll just remain where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment