Sunday 28 June 2015

Apperley


Here I am Rune

Distance 6.5 miles
Total 1266 Locks 70 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1786.6 miles 

We have pressed on a bit today and are sort of north east of Bradford and north east of Leeds to theoretically we should be in Leeds by Tuesday. Today’s trip was OK although a couple of minor showers this morning but pretty much dry after lunch. I shall be glad to be onto canals with proper sized locks since I am tiring of getting out of these short locks, often involving getting wet from the leaky top gates. The guy in front of us at the Dowley Gap Locks got a proper soaking, probably not helped by me filling the lock behind him on the 2 lock staircase since it pushed more water at greater pressure through the leaks in the gate, I did apologise when we caught up with him at the next lock. Also had the interesting experience of being shouted at but some ignoramus in her boat moored below Dowley Gap. I religiously slow down to tick over as I pass moored boats however this person of limited intelligence chose to bang on her window and shout out ‘Slow Down!’ as we passed, I mouthed back to her ‘Do One!’ since the only way I would be able to travel any slower would be to employ a horse to pull the boat!!
Field Three Rise Locks
The plan tomorrow is for a fairly short day to Newlay Locks so that on Tuesday we can make it to Leeds City centre and the end of the Leeds Liverpool Canal (photo again compulsory).

No comments:

Post a Comment