Thursday 6 June 2024

Rugeley

 

Here I am Rune

Distance 5.8 miles

Total 4984 Locks  359 Tunnels

Running total mileage 7,441.9 miles

 

So, after a pleasant 4 days at Tixall Wide, we move on to Rugeley carrying out the usual domesticky stuff at Great Haywood. It wasn’t quite as chaotic there as it had been when I passed through on Monday to catch the bus to Stafford, so we were able to get done quite quickly. Once again it is an easy cruise from Great Haywood through to Rugeley, although it can be a bit shallow in places. Only small issue I had was meeting another boat in one of the bridge holes. A boat had been moored right by the bridge on my approach side so I wasn’t able to go in at the angle that I would normally have done. What this meant was that as the boat came from the opposite direction I didn’t have the space to try to turn, so the only option was the ‘nuclear’ one of hard astern. Of course once you do that you then have no real say where the bows go and they began to swing across the canal. I didn’t hit anything, but the boat coming the other way gave the bridge quite a belt.

We’ll be here until probably Saturday as it is convenient for two supermarkets for our weekend shop, and then we’ll head on towards Fradley.

No comments:

Post a Comment