Sunday 28 September 2014

Grindley Brook



Here I am Rune
Distance 3.8 miles
Total 656 Locks 26 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1003.8 miles

As is often the case, change of plan and decided to go all the way through to Grindley Brook before stopping for lunch. The confounding factor was that when we got there we found a major fishing competition under way with a lot of the fishermen using the mooring areas. Managed to find a mooring without upsetting them too much. As it happens it was the second fishing competition that we came across during the morning having passed another one between bridges 35 and 40.

It is a funny old game going through a fishing competition, the fishermen try to pretend that we are not there and we reciprocate by trying to pretend that we can’t see their rods! It is a bit of a Mexican standoff whereby they leave their rods across the canal until the last possible moment which, if it bothered me, I’d think I was about to hit their rod. I have the pragmatic approach though whereby if betting on either my 18 tons of canal boat or their ½ kilo of fishing tackle, I think my money would always be on my 18 tons winning the argument!

Since we finished early today took the opportunity to finish touching up the paintwork with primer on the rust spots. The next phase will be covering over the primer with colour. Also had to pop back to Whitchurch on the back since we were running out of bread and milk and don’t expect to get to Nantwich until about Wednesday and all there is between here and there is a village shop in Wrenbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment