Sunday 12 October 2014

Ellesmere Port




Here I am Rune
Distance 8.3 miles
Total 689 Locks 26 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1047.3 miles
 


A very pleasant, warm, sunny day took us to Ellesmere Port and we are now moored outside of the National Waterways Museum. I have to say that I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the trip from Chester as I was expecting it to be heavily industrial most of the way, it is nothing of the sort! We passed under the motorways on four occasions but for most of the way it was open fields, parkland and a golf course. There was even a caravan park as we approached Ellesmere Port. That is not to say that Ellesmere Port isn’t heavily industrialised, it is just that the canal doesn’t really go into the centre of it.

When we got here, we met up with another boat that we’d seen in Chester, one called ‘WUMPUS’ and I have to say that they have brave plans. Tomorrow (depending upon weather) they will be going down into Manchester Ship Canal to its terminus on the Mersey, then down the Mersey, across and into Liverpool Docks. Now I’m reasonably adventurous but that is perhaps and adventure too far. They have employed a pilot to take them across but since they are travelling alone any breakdown would be something of a disaster. I have heard of people making the trip but usually as part of a flotilla so that if one breaks down someone can then tow them across but I wouldn’t fancy doing it singly. On the other hand they have a pilot so if it isn’t suitable he won’t take them, wish them luck.

We got here a bit late to go around the museum today so have moored up outside and will go in tomorrow. I think the entrance ticket also gives the opportunity to moor in the basin so may do that and return to Chester on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment