Monday 5 September 2022

Crick

Here I am Rune

Distance 10.5 miles

Total 4751 Locks  313 Tunnels

Running total mileage 7,085.7 miles

Another day’s cruise that has largely gone to plan, arriving us here in Crick where I’ll need to nip across to the supermarket when the rain stops. This has been a pleasantly scenic section of canal with a number of good rural moorings, comes highly recommended! There has been a lot more boats on the move today than there were yesterday, I’ve no idea why. It seemed that we always met them in the most inconvenient places, the winner was on a bend, just after a bridge, on a bit made narrow by overhanging vegetation and with a fuel boat delivering to a moorer nearby! The only one that seemed to cause an issue however (not to me) was between Yelvertoft and Crick where there was an overhanging tree on my left hand side narrowing the canal. A boat was coming the other way and, since the obstruction was on their side of the canal, and I was already closer to the pinch point, I carried on through. Unfortunately, so did they thinking they’d push through the tree. The branch hanging down was in fact quite a thick one which slowed their boat down and then scratched its way along the top of the boat. Black looks seemed to be sent my way, but the choice was theirs, to time their arrival at the pinch point, as I would normally do, or inadvisedly try and push through the tree with their boat, a scratched boat being the result.

 

We’re only overnight in Crick and then on through the tunnel to the Watford Flight tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment