Monday 16 March 2015

Kingswood Junction



Here I am Rune
Distance 4.9 miles
Total 906 Locks 53 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1317miles

Well, we made it to Kingswood Junction and a good day’s locking it was 19 locks and 4.9 miles so 23.9 ‘lock miles’, not a bad day’s work. No real dramas on the way although a CRT contractor caused some problem on the way whilst doing a bit of dredging. A fine piece of work if I may say so but when he was pushing his workboat loaded with the dredgings out he needed to take more care. I move to one side of the canal to let him past which was OK but he felt he needed to keep his engine running at full throttle whilst he passed me. No great problem for me but the way such things work he created a massive suction on my boat as he passed which, despite my best efforts, Drew my boat onto his workboat gently colliding with the rear. The effect of this was to knock his workboat out of alignment and as he went through the bridge hole it all went massively wrong and the barge he was pushing ended up sideways across the canal, would have liked to have helped but ‘places to go people to see’ and all that!

Tomorrow (weather permitting) on towards the Hatton Flight of locks on the Grand union.

The view up Lapworth lock flight......

........when you've completed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment