Tuesday 31 March 2015

Calcutt (1)


Here I am Rune
Distance 0 miles
Total 953 Locks 56 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1351.8 miles

After saying how well RUNE steers in the wind, we took the decision today not to bother! When we looked out of the window (after a pretty windy night) and saw breaking waves on the canal we decided that today was a day for not moving. Call it wimping out if you like but there is no point in making  things unnecessarily difficult and today would have been quite ‘interesting’. A clue was that no boats at all passed where we were moored before about 11.30am and the first one that did had a bit of a problem getting around the corner about 200 yards ahead of us so I think it was probably a good move staying put.

I got the bike out to travel into Long Ichington, about 3 miles away, to get some milk and bread to ensure we don’t run out of the necessities. I also took the opportunity to check over the engine, particularly the gearbox. A little puzzle there since when I serviced the engine about 75 hours ago the gearbox was dry. Having checked it today it hasn’t lost a drop of oil so it does rather beg the question of where the gearbox oil had gone. There is no obvious sign of a leak and, since the transmission fluid in there is pink it would rather show if it had leaked out anywhere. Since the gearbox can’t burn the oil (unlike the engine oil in the sump) I can’t really figure out where it went. All I can say is that I hope it remains full now.

No comments:

Post a Comment