Sunday 1 March 2015

Bumble Hole(2)



Here I am Rune
Distance 6.2 miles
Total 881 Locks 42 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1272.6miles

The trip to Hawne basin went pretty much according to plan, we even managed two passages through Gorsty tunnel without picking up anything on the propeller, which was a first. When we got to Hawne I asked the guy from the shop there if they’d sent a workboat up the canal to clear away rubbish and apparently they have, which explains the unimpeded passage. By going both ways along the short section to Hawne we have clocked up two tunnels on the record above however, in reality it was just the same tunnel twice. Interestingly, speaking of tunnels, when I was mooring up yesterday three lad (in their 20’s) walked past and started to talk about the boat. One asked me if we were going through Netherton tunnel to which I advised him that we probably would on Monday. I asked them if they’d come through the tunnel on the towpath to which one replied, ”No, I went into the tunnel on the towpath once but it was really creepy, you could hear voices in there”. I explained that sound carries very easily through the tunnel so it could have been someone a long way into the tunnel walking through. If he found that creepy I wonder what he would have made of this picture hanging in the middle of Gorsty Tunnel!
'Vampire' picture in Gorsty tunnel




We are now fully stocked up on our ‘boaty’ stuff, we have diesel enough to see us into April, Gas to see us into June, a full water tank, all Elsan cassettes are empty, and everything is good with the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment