Thursday 5 March 2015

Birmingham City Centre (2)



Here I am Rune
Distance 0 miles
Total 887 Locks 46 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1294.6miles

Today was a day for wandering around Birmingham City Centre since the crew was taking the opportunity of being in easy travel distance of Leicester Record Office to go across to do some researching.  Mine was a bit of a lazy day really, had another look at the section of drained canal (not much has changed although a large pile of mud has disappeared) and wandered off into the city centre. Firstly I needed to find the blood donor centre since I had an appointment booked for 3.40pm. It was not particularly easy to find although a large blood donor van pulling up by the door when I was looking for it was a helpful clue. The blood donor session wasn’t a great success to be honest, normally I bleed quite readily for such things (a little worryingly) but on this occasion the flow was not good particularly good and then the reason for this became apparent when the needle came adrift allowing air into the pipeline and resulting in the aborting of the donation. Although I’d given about 200grams of blood they are unable to use it because the donation bag contains an anticoagulant and if the bag is not filled the concentration is too high to transfuse to a patient, so a bit of a waste really, may as well have kept the blood to myself!

On the way back to the boat I also took another walk up Birmingham Library to The Secret Garden on about the 7th Floor to admire the view over Birmingham again. Current plan is to try to stay around here over the weekend as I’ve heard a rumour that the drained canal may be opening sometime next week and if it does then we can go down the Birmingham and Worcester to Cadbury World, a venue that crew is keen to visit. I’ll call in at the CRT office at Cambrian Wharf tomorrow to see if there is any truth in the rumour.

No comments:

Post a Comment