Monday 2 November 2015

Braunston



Here I am Rune
Distance 1 miles
Total 1520 Locks 78 Tunnels
Running total mileage 2189.3miles

Well after a week’s ‘home run’ back to Torquay to celebrate my 60th Birthday we are now back on the boat and the intention was to be back on the move quite quickly however a couple of developments may slow us down a bit. The first minor hiccup was when we got back to the boat and were turning all of the utilities back on; the gas cut-off is located in the bow compartment which is fitted with a very heavy lid. When I opened the lid the hinges failed and it fell straight into the canal, half an hour fishing with a magnet did not succeed in recovering it since it weighs about 25 kilos, so I left it until this morning when, using two magnets and with the assistance of the guy from the boat next door we managed to recover the lid. Trying to find a method of fixing it permanently has been a bit of a problem, to the degree that at the moment it has just been replaced over the gas bottles still with the faulty hinges. Next the central heating system has started to play up again, it fires up but then closes down again without actually heating anything up, may need to see a heating engineer again. By far the most problematic at the moment however is that the engine alternator has started playing up putting the warning light on and sounding the alarm. I suspect that it is the diode in it that is at fault but my knowledge of alternators is a bit limited so I will have to see if I can find an ‘expert’ tomorrow in Braunston. I do carry a spare alternator which I’m hoping will simplify the problem.

2 comments:

  1. try justin green of jgmarine 07903945196. next to the chandlers below the bottom lock. he can help with all of these problems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried Justin today, he's booked up until December. Also tried 'Johnno' down by the bottom lock, he is also busy. The spare alternator that I have is the identical model to the one needed but unfortunately the mirror-image so the holes don't line up, problems mount!!

      Delete