Monday 9 February 2015

Starting to thaw...........



Here I am Rune
Distance 0miles
Total 817 Locks 39 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1237.9miles

It seems that things might be beginning to thaw a bit. The basin has now lost quite a bit of the ice with just an island of it in the centre. Tomorrow I may try to break it up as I go across to the fuel pump to refuel with diesel. I’ll then take another trip along the canal on the bike to see what the state of the ice is and if it has thawed sufficiently we’ll possibly be moving on by Wednesday.

As stated yesterday I took the opportunity of being frozen in here to go swimming at the Halesowen Swimming Pool, the design of which caught me out a bit. Usually when I go for a swim it is to do about a mile, which on a standard pool is about 65 lengths, this will usually take just under an hour. Today I found that after about 40 minutes I was only halfway there. I plodded on regardless and completed the swim in about 1 hour and 20 minutes thinking that my energy levels had possibly dropped off a bit. Speaking with a pool attendant it seems that the pool isn’t the standard 25 metres but is in fact 33 metres, what is that all about? How do they hold competitions there? If you had a 100 metre race it would be 3 lengths and then a little bit (it is 33 metres, not 33 1/3 metres as one might expect). More to the point is seems that in my mile swim I’ve now gone and swum over a mile and a quarter, no wonder I feel knackered.

No comments:

Post a Comment