Thursday 11 December 2014

Black Country Museum



Here I am Rune
Distance 0 miles
Total 777 Locks 28 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1162.8 miles

Once  again a zero mileage day to give us the opportunity to visit the Black Country Museum. Again it was well worth a visit although some of the items presented as ‘history’ I can remember having in my own home as a child, principally a ‘dolly tub’ and ‘posser’ which was used before the days of washing machines. This was followed by the ‘mangle’ which pre-dated the spin drier, so-called a ‘mangle’ because that was pretty much what it did to any zips in the clothing that you happen to put through it to wring out the water.

Had a long an interesting discussion with the owner of a working narrow boat fitted with a Bolinder engine where he related the peculiarities of the Bolinder, too complicated for me I’ll stick with my Lister.

The entry to the museum was through an on line booking which is a bit bizarre since we sat on the mooring directly outside of the museum making the booking  which then gave us an immediate saving of a couple of quid on the entry fee, and by Gift Aiding it we can go back as many times as we like over the next 12 months.
Tomorrow probably back to Dudley Port so we are in a position to stock up for the week-end, I must try to get my hands on some fuel for the fire as well. 

The 'Bottle and Glass' Public House in the museum

Looking back up the main street of the museum

No comments:

Post a Comment