Monday 15 December 2014

Hawne Basin



Here I am Rune
Distance 7.7 miles
Total 780 Locks 30 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1171.7 miles


Hawne Basin, I think I’ve died and gone to the narrow-boater’s heaven! It may have been a struggle to get here through Gosty Tunnel (more later) but it was certainly worth the effort. The trip started through the three Factory Locks on the New Main Line which my crew tells me she quite likes and if we are to return to the Dudley Port area that is her preferred route rather then up the Brades Hall flight. Then it was through Netherton Tunnel which is probably the highest and widest that we have so far travelled through. To be honest it was a bit boring since it is as straight as a die and there isn’t much to at this time of year since there are no other boats to avoid. The tedium of Netherton was however contrasted with the ‘excitement’ of Gosty tunnel which does carry one or two surprises. To begin with you enter a tunnel which is probably as high as Netherton but only the width of a single narrow-boat (just!). Halfway through however the height suddenly halves  and all of a sudden you find yourself ducking to avoid the roof and trying not to rip the chimney pot off the boat (note to self: must remember to take the chimney off for the return trip!). As an added ‘excitement’ we then managed to wrap a length of rope around the propeller halfway through the tunnel. Despite a number of attempts to free it (forward and reverse propulsion) it would not come off so in the middle of a long and dark tunnel we have to switch the engine off and take the weed hatch up to free the prop, getting a few thorns on my hand from the compulsory brambles as I do so!

Once we’ve cleared the ‘excitement’ of Gosty Tunnel however it is pretty much all downhill to Hawne Basin (although I managed to break the ‘navigation’ light that I’d fitted on the roof to see me through tunnels entering the basin). And when we get to Hawne Basin, well, what can I say. Refuel the diesel tank at 103 litres of red diesel for £64, replace the gas bottle for £24 and get another bottle of Elsan Blue for £12, life just doesn’t get any better! I'm told that the mooring here is free for 7 days and then just £4 a day thereafter.Then we have the evening Inland Waterways Association meeting in the clubhouse where they serve good beer for a mere £2 a pint and I’m in heaven, I think I’ll just hibernate here until spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment