Thursday, 27 August 2015


Here I am Rune
Distance 1.3 miles
Total 1418 Locks 71 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1960.9 miles 

Another short day today of just over a mile and 6 locks but then we needed to get some supplies aboard. Whilst here I also took the opportunity to try to fix a water leak though one of the ‘mushroom’ air vents in the roof that began during a torrential downpour whilst we were at Kiveton. I turns out that the seal has failed on the base of the vent because at some time the centre rope has caught on the mushroom and sheared off two of the screws holding it on. I have managed to get one of the broken screw threads out but the other seems to be solidly stuck. I’m going to try to get an extraction tool from a nearby hardware shop tomorrow but if that fails I will probably have to find a boatyard to re-drill and re-fit the vent. At the moment I’ve taken it off and covered over the hole in the roof with an old metal dog bowl that we had on board, not ideal but it keeps the rain out!

How far we get tomorrow will depend on how quickly I can get the parts that I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment