Friday 16 June 2017

Marsden



Here I am Rune
Distance 3.8 miles
Total 2699 Locks  128 Tunnels
Running total mileage 3711.4 miles 

Well we’ve now completed the passage through Standedge Tunnel and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We have some video footage of it and it will be a good reminder in future years of the passage. In fairness it does take a certain amount of concentration not to scuff the sides of the boat against the tunnel wall since it is just a single channel and whenever you try to correct any deviation the back of the boat invariably catches the tunnel wall but the only damage that seems to have been caused was one of the poppers holding the cratch cover on has been scuffed off somewhere in the tunnel. I would have to say that the tunnel holds no real fears for me and I’d quite happily go back through it tomorrow (I may have to if we can’t get through the Huddersfield Broad Canal!).

Once at Marsden we have replaced all of the stuff that was on the roof then trundled off to Meltham to get the weekend shopping. Since we are bordering the Pennines this involved a couple of quite notable hills, keeps me fit though.

Tomorrow we hope to get to Slaithwaite (locally pronounced as ‘Slewit’) but there are a few locks between here and there (21 of them).

Standedge Tunnel Entrance

Inside the tunnel

Just how close the railway is



No comments:

Post a Comment