Sunday 15 June 2014

Milton Keynes



Here I am Rune
Distance 3.8 miles
Total 453 Locks 8 Tunnels
Running total mileage 608.1 miles

Today has been an unfeasibly short day’s travelling although that was not the intention. It started out as a short run to Walton Hall to have a look at the University from which we have graduated, that went quite well. Where things started to go wrong was when I decided to travel into the centre of Milton Keynes to get some bike parts. Little did I realise as I innocently travelled towards the centre of town that the place was designed by a retard! Someone was obviously trying to follow the American design of making the town into a grid pattern into which they have woven footpaths and cycleways but since they don’t consider signage to be of much importance it becomes difficult to find out exactly where you are going. I my first port of call, Halfords, was fairly straightforward but since they didn’t supply the parts needed they ‘directed’ me to the nearest Evans cycleshop which is where the frustration set in. I managed to travel around Milton Keynes Centre 5 times without finding either the cycle shop nor a supermarket to restock our milk supply. There are no signs in the centre to suggest where any shops are and few signs on the cycleways to tell you where you may be going. There are numerous signs telling you not to cycle on the footways but not a lot to tell you what is a footway compared to the roadways or cycleways, the town is an utter abortion! If asked for my suggestion of where should be despatched to ‘Room 101’ Milton Keynes would top my list. All I can say now is that I’ve been there and don’t ever need to go again!!   

Open University Walton Hall

Wood carving in the grounds

Wood Carving in the grounds

No comments:

Post a Comment