Tuesday 3 January 2017

Hawkesbury Junction



Here I am Rune
Distance 8.1 miles
Total 2281 Locks  99 Tunnels
Running total mileage 3260.3 miles 

A decidedly chilly day again today where we have again woken up to a frozen canal, although not deeply frozen so it hasn’t prevented us moving on. I haven’t got quite as far as I was hoping since my target had been to get to Bedworth but we decided to stop at Hawkesbury Junction which is about 2 miles short of where I had intended.

Unlike yesterday when we were travelling in bright winter sunshine, today has been overcast and the wind has picked up making it feel colder. We have managed to keep the fire in overnight now and it has been burning constantly since when it was lit on Saturday, if the cold weather keeps up this is a situation that is likely to continue.

We are now keeping a careful eye both on how far we are going to go up the Ashby Canal and the weather. If we get a particularly cold spell with heavily frozen canal we will probably be turning around and heading back towards Brauston sooner rather than later. Getting frozen in whilst miles from any services isn’t something I aspire to doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment