Wednesday 16 November 2016

Market Harborough



Here I am Rune
Distance 5.7miles
Total 2233 Locks  93 Tunnels
Running total mileage 3166.3 miles 

Well after an ‘interesting’ night moored above Foxton Locks we’ve now made our way through to the basin at Market Harborough. 

The ‘interesting’ part of the stay above the locks was brought about by a rather poor piece of driving at about 12.30am when I was lying in bed reading. I first heard the sound of an approaching car on the nearby road obviously travelling at some considerable speed (although it could have been in a low gear and revving like mad, but I don’t think so!). This was followed by a very prolonged skid and that rather sickening thump that you get when a car hits a solid object. Since we are in the middle of nowhere really it was incumbent on me to go and see what had happened since it was quite possible that people could be trapped or dead. Standing on the top of the boat and looking across into the field there was obviously a car stationary there with it’s lights on. I collected a torch and went to investigate and sure enough the muppet driving it had taken his vehicle straight through the hedge and it was on its roof about 8 feet below the level of the road. It seemed to me that it would be an idea to call the Police to this so whilst walking towards the car called them up on my phone. When I got to the car two men and a woman were crawling out of the wreckage, apparently unhurt but well shaken. The driver called to me that they were all OK and, ”We don’t want the Police here”, which rather suggested to me that we probably did!  The driver and his passengers decided that they didn’t want to wait around for the Police arrival and all staggered off heading in the general direction of Foxton. When we got up this morning the car had been covered by Police tape so I assume that they arrived, I don’t know if they found the driver or his passengers.

The crashed car having come through the hedge on the left between the tree and electricity pole (white tape there now)

No comments:

Post a Comment