Friday 9 September 2016

Kings Lock



Here I am Rune
Distance 12.7 miles
Total 2104 Locks  90 Tunnels
Running total mileage 2990.9 miles

After our brief sojourn in Abingdon we have now moved on to Kings Lock, north of Oxford. This was some way further than I was intending to go today as I would have liked to have moored above Osney Lock in Oxford itself but mooring was clearly at a premium and we failed to find one. 

The only real highlight of the stay in Abingdon was the opportunity to go for a swim in Abbey Meadows outdoor swimming pool, which was surprisingly warm. A cracking location overlooking the Thames and the day that I went was warm and sunny, I don’t know how many more days of that they’ll have but I wouldn’t think that it will remain open much longer into the autumn since it doesn’t open until May I would think it probably shuts for the season in October.

Our current mooring cost £5 but given the difficulty of mooring on some stretches of the river here, due to shallowness, it was a price we were willing to pay. If the weather tomorrow is as bad as forecast we will be willing to pay it again tomorrow!  

No comments:

Post a Comment