Wednesday 24 June 2020

Flecknoe

Here I am Rune
Distance 6.5  miles
Total 4015 Locks  263 Tunnels
Running total mileage 5864.6 miles

Another easy day’s cruise bringing us here to Flecknoe, something of a favourite mooring of ours, nicely isolated. We did have 13 locks to get through today, and it seems as though it was one of the hottest days of the year but we kept up a gentle pace and it wasn’t too bad.

I had a rare experience of ending up in the canal today, not from the boat, but from the bike whilst travelling to the nearest shop. Obviously not many people have been using the towpath recently and I suddenly came across a branch of brambles that had spread right across the towpath and almost into the canal at chest height. I had to make a sudden stop to avoid it and, foolishly, instead of putting my right foot down (furthest from the canal) I put my left foot down onto what turned out to be a mush of dead vegetation which didn’t support my weight so rather undignified I sat down into the canal. On any other day it would be been a quick trip back to the boat to get changed, but since it was so hot today, riding to Napton whilst soaking wet was actually quite pleasurable. By the time I’d got back to the boat, I was virtually dry (not so sure about the mobile phone that had been in my pocket). 

Tomorrow on to Braunston.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely Flecknoe, so envious! Shame about your unwanted dip though. How lovely to be on the move again
    best wishes
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been good to be moving again after having spent the lockdown at our non-residential mooring (with their special permission). The dip wasn't too bad since the day was pretty hot, shame about the phone though.

      Delete