Monday 18 July 2016

Hackney Wick



Here I am Rune
Distance 3.6 miles
Total 1908Locks 90 Tunnels
Running total mileage 2698.2 miles

On what has clearly been the hottest day of the year we have moved from Limehouse Basin to the outskirts of the Olympic Park (if I stand on the nearby bridge I can see the ArcelorMittal Orbit Sculpture). I have to say that I got a similar feeling travelling through the Olympic Park as I got when I visited the Barcelona Olympic area, it was built for a specific purpose and that purpose has now passed, I didn’t get that ‘legacy’ feeling that they all talk about.

We tried to go into the Bow Back Waters around the old Olympic Park but, 4 years after the event, they are still closed off. I was a bit miffed that the level of closure wasn’t made particularly clear, either on boards in the area of the CRT website. We travelled about 300 metres up to City Mills lock where it is all closed off without any winding hole to turn in, so I then had to reverse 300 metres back out again. They aren’t keeping the canals very weed free in there and we repeatedly got weed around the propeller whilst we were reversing. Not a success story really.

Tomorrow it will a  further press along the Lea Navigation in the hope of reaching Waltham Abbey, if failing in that, any reasonable mooring will do.

The limit of navigation in Bow Back river (without booking)

No comments:

Post a Comment