Thursday 21 July 2016

Harlow Mill



Here I am Rune
Distance 8.3 miles
Total 1929Locks  90 Tunnels
Running total mileage 2722.3 miles

The original plan of getting to Harlow was somewhat exceeded but this was mainly due to the fact that we couldn’t find anywhere to moor! We are now a couple of miles beyond Harlow Town where my map showed 7 day moorings, what it didn’t show was that there is only one mooring there. We tried to moor at the next lock but the area shown as available for mooring on my map was far too shallow for us to get even within gangplank reach of the shore. Where we have eventually managed to moor it was necessary for me to ask the boat already moored to move along a few feet which has enabled us to tuck onto the end of the mooring area, almost under the road bridge.

We have had the first encounter with local ‘yoof’ presumably since school is pretty near to breaking up. A gaggle of young lads were using Parndon Lock as an impromptu swimming pool, as we arrived from the bottom to travel up I told them to look on it that we’d come to change the water in their swimming pool. They seemed a reasonably harmless bunch (famous last words!).

I was quite surprised just how far we had come today when I calculated it all out, 8.3 miles and 11 locks, not a bad days work. The weather is still good and not as roastingly hot that it has been over the past couple of days.

I would hope that  we can get to Bishop Stortford for tomorrow for a weekend stop

No comments:

Post a Comment