Monday 8 October 2018

Birmingham


Here I am Rune
Distance  11.8 miles
Total 3447 Locks  194 Tunnels
Running total mileage 5007.5 miles
After nearly 3 weeks on our mooring, we are back out on the move again, back into the centre of Birmingham again. A fairly straightforward trip with probably the easiest passage through Gosty Tunnel that we’ve ever had, just a few leaves around the prop as we entered the tunnel and that was it. Slightly more concerning was when we came to moor up in Birmingham when something wrapped itself around the prop as I tried to stop at the mooring. I then had no propulsion either forward or reverse and therefore no steerage either. Fortunately I had slowed down beforehand but we still drifted across the canal and hit a moored boat (gently) as I had no control over the boat. When I went down the weedhatch whatever had caused the problem had dropped off (so will be a problem for someone else) as all I recovered from the prop was a trivial amount of weed and plastic, nothing to account for the complete loss of drive.

Not sure how long we’ll be remaining here, we haven’t got onto the 14 day moorings so we may need to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment