Thursday 28 September 2017

Sowerby Bridge



Here I am Rune
Distance 2.3 miles
Total 2852 Locks  130 Tunnels
Running total mileage 4049.1 miles 

We have now completed the entire of the Calder and Hebble canal, up to Sowerby Bridge, and I have to say that I’m glad we’re through. For our length of boat it has been a bit of a tough canal not helped by the quirky locks involving the use of a ‘handspike’ to operate them. Interestingly in conversation with a local boater at one of the locks today, the paddle gear, although unique the this canal, is not universally popular locally either.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is pretty dire so I think we will remain moored here until at least Saturday. Sowerby Bridge itself looks OK so I’ll check the place out and also see if they have a leisure centre to go for a swim.

RUNE at the end of the Calder and Hebble canal (Wainhouse Tower in the distance)

No comments:

Post a Comment