Thursday 6 February 2014

Bath (for the dentist!)



Map reference  ST 75938  65641
Distance 1.2 miles
Total 257 Locks 7 Tunnels
Running total mileage 356.1miles

Once again back to Bath, although this time with more of a purpose since I have needed to get back to Torquay for a dental appointment to repair a chipped tooth. Initially booked a hire care from Bath for the trip but since that was £31 plus fuel (another £20), after checking for the cheapest rail fare found that I could make the trip for £21 return, bit of no-brainer really so we booked the train tickets.

Despite the chaos on the railways, the trip went surprising smoothly, train to Taunton, bus from Taunton to Exeter, bus from Exeter to Newton Abbot and bus from Newton Abbot to Torquay, and still arrived earlier than I would have done if the whole trip had been on the train! Return trip was the same in reverse and again all went smoothly getting back to the boat at the expected time had the whole trip been by rail. When I set out I hadn’t seen the news so I wasn’t aware that the rail track between Exeter and Newton Abbot had been washed away by the sea! Looks like it will be out of action for at least 6 weeks. At least the Dental Appointment was suitably sorted and I am now £50 poorer for it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment