Monday 14 September 2020

Northampton

Here I am Rune

Distance 2.9 miles

Total 4161 Locks  264 Tunnels

Running total mileage 6,398.9 miles

 

And now we are safely back into Northampton, hooked up onto a shoreline so no need to worry about the domestic alternator failure for a day or two. We’ll stay here for a while whilst we get repairs sorted out and then when we come to leave, the baptism of fire, having not done that much work on locks for the last couple of month, it’ll be up the 17 locks of the Northampton flight to get us back onto the main system.

It has been interesting having spent the (very hot) summer almost exclusively on rivers so it’ll be a change to be back onto narrow canals. Whilst the scenery has been good, albeit a bit flat, I think my preference is for canals over rivers, although being on a river did give the opportunity to go swimming, something I wouldn’t choose to do in a canal!

 

2 comments:

  1. I suspect you may have been pre-warned, but in case you haven't - I gather that you need to get through the area of lock 14 pretty quickly as they have been having a lot of trouble with local youngsters. I gather the best time to go through is early morning whilst they are all still in bed! I hope you get your repairs done okay. Jennie, nb Tentatrice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice, I had heard rumblings that kids were a bit of a problem on the flight, although we had no encounters on the way down. We'll be in Northampton until the end of the month then probably go up the flight on a Wednesday or Thursday morning. The repairs nearly went well until, I broke the alternator holding bolt :-(

      Delete