Sunday 3 January 2016

Daventry (2)



Here I am Rune
Distance 0 miles
Total 1661 Locks 81 Tunnels
Running total mileage 2302 miles

Since we have found a reasonable mooring (decent internet, phone signal and accessible to Davetry) I think we may loiter here for a while. We’ll need to go up to Norton Junction (about 1 ¼ miles away) tomorrow to top up with water and deal with the Elsan cassettes but once that is done I think we may well drift back to here.

I took advantage of a non-moving day today to go into Daventry for my first swim of the New Year, the new year ‘resolution’ is to see how far I swim throughout the year, target is a ‘Channel Swim’ of 26 miles or more, all I managed today was just the 1 mile so 25 to go.
Also popped into the local Waitrose to get some odds and ends. To use an old fashioned term it is fascinating how shameless people can be these days. Whilst standing in the queue for the free coffee (how long can Waitrose keep that up??) I heard a lot of shouting and sobbing coming from the direction of the cash tills that you can’t actually see from the coffee machine. My first thought was that someone had been caught shoplifting and was arguing their innocence to the security staff, how wrong I was. A few moments later a young woman appeared from the direction of the cash till not with a Policeman alongside her but with her mobile phone pressed to her ear and still shouting and sobbing into it, clearly having a major row with someone on the other end which she continued as she went out of the shop. The woman behind me made me chuckle though with her comment, “Do you know it really cheers me up to see someone having a really bad day like that, it makes my day look so much better!” But how someone can conduct a full blown mobile phone argument with tears and everything in the middle of a crowded supermarket I find amazing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment