Monday 7 September 2020

Nene Park

 Here I am Rune

Distance 4 miles

Total 4128 Locks  264 Tunnels

Running total mileage 6,340.0 miles

 

I can’t really say that today went entirely to script. It started well, weather was fine, all domestic jobs completed but then as we were about to set off I noticed that the battery power level was falling despite the engine running. Checked all around the boat to make sure that nothing had been left on thereby consuming power, nothing found. Checked the engine, all seemed to be working, both alternators spinning around an no dashboard lights on. Eventually found the problem by sliding the rear hatch over and putting the dashboard into darkness, then it was just possible to see a faint glow on the domestic alternator light, the alternator had clearly died.

After half an hour re-wiring around the batteries I’ve now got the engine alternator charging both the engine battery (it’s normal job) and the domestic batteries. I’m not sure that it likes the arrangement, but it does at least give us a means of recharging the batteries until such a time as I can replace the alternator (or alternator regulator which is invariably what goes in them).

Cruised out to Overton Lake, where had moored when on our way down the River Nene, it is a pleasant mooring and, with a nice sunny evening, I decided to take a bit of exercise (something I’ve been lacking recently) and had a 6 mile walk around the country park.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment