Sunday 23 August 2020

Fidwell Fen (Upware)

Here I am Rune

Distance 9.3 miles

Total 4123 Locks  264 Tunnels

Running total mileage 6,245.4miles

So, after a couple of days in Cambridge, we have now moved on, back onto Environment Agency waters, mooring for the night at Fidwell Fen mooring. This is a particularly pleasant mooring and I was grateful to see on our approach that there was a RUNE sized gap available on them. Had this one been full, there are other options, but needing a bit more travel to get there.

Whilst the weather forecast had predicted much in the way of rain today, after mooring up for the day a heavy downpour came over, so I was glad we’d get moored to avoid that.

Had an ‘interesting’ discussion with a rower whilst I was waiting for Baits Bite lock. He had come out of Cambridge behind us but passed us on the way, since these skiffs obviously go faster than our boat. When we got to the rather odd section where boats have to cross to the ‘wrong’ side he had stopped in front of us and,since I’d assumed he was going to the side of the river, I started to go around him. Unfortunately he started to drift from left to right in front of us pushing me further and further back on to the right hand side of the river. It turns out during the ‘discussion’ that he had stopped to get his camera out to photograph me having crossed the the ‘wrong’ side of the river early (about 25 metres ‘early’). Since the signage is pretty poor and hidden by vegetation, I didn’t really see the issue he was making, and certainly not why it warranted a photo.

 

He did advise me of why they have the rather ridiculous cross-over, it is so that racing crews can take the ‘racing line’ through the corner and he was stating that when they come down, "..They’ll be doing 12mph.." (about cycling speed) and I’d never have time to get out of their way. Having been on the tidal Thames with boats coming past at speeds well in excess of that  I rather think he overstates the ‘risk’. The general view I got from his was that his ‘belief’ was that everything else gives way to rowing boats, he even questioned why I hadn’t gone closer to the riverside to allow a coxless four more river space (I was already grounding in the shallows was the reason). Since my efforts had gone unappreciated, my future position will align with the general navigation rules,’Power gives way to sail’ and rowed/paddled craft need to keep out of everyone’s way!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment