Wednesday 26 August 2020

Chettisham (Diamond 44 moorings)

 

Here I am Rune

Distance 3.3 miles

Total 4121 Locks  264 Tunnels

Running total mileage 6,246.1 miles

After staying the maximum 48 hours in Ely, we move onto the Environment Agency ‘Diamond 44’ moorings, just 3 miles out. We stopped off to do the domestic stuff at the sanitary station, and sadly crossed swords with a ‘shinyboater’ moored alongside the water point. Being a Monday morning, the service point was quite busy so we were obviously going to have to wait. Initially drew up alongside a hire boat who was just finishing so I moved out of his way and then edged into the space he had been in. Since his boat was only a 50 foot boat and we are 60 feet, it was necessary to moor at an angle in the space whilst waiting. Mr Shinyboater was then apoplectic that I may have touched his £2000 two pack coating on his boat (I’d barely nudged it) and set off on a load of foul mouthed expletives about how I should go and moor somewhere else. I explained I wasn’t mooring, I was using the facilities but this didn’t placate him at all so I felt it was best just to ignore him. Had be been a reasonable person, instead of an arsehole he could possibly have said,”Would you like me to move my boat further back into the 30 foot space behind me so that you can moor easier?” we may have got on better, but since he had his boat chained to the bollards, he obviously wasn’t going to move it for anyone. What goes around, comes around and should I find myself in future coming across him looking for a mooring, I will purposely put my boat into the centre of any mooring area (as he had done) to ensure he cannot moor. Compare this to my usual frame of mind where I’m quite content for anyone (except Mr Shinyboater) to breast up alongside me at the sparse moorings along here, and it will be his loss. Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment