Tuesday 10 March 2015

Birmingham City Centre (7)



Here I am Rune
Distance 0 miles
Total 887 Locks 48 Tunnels
Running total mileage 1297.6miles

Another day of going nowhere but it has been busy anyway. Today was the day to carry out the Spring service of the engine so I seem to have spent pretty much the whole day working on it. Now that it is done it is a tradition I believe that it breaks down in a couple of days (but I sincerely hope not!). We have carried out the oil change and oil filter change, the fuel filter change, the air filter change, re-charged the stern greaser and topped up the gear box. Not sure how much that little lot would cost in a marina but I don’t suppose that you’d see much change from £150 so I look on it as a bit of money saving.

Have also checked the canal through Gas Street and it has been re-watered (filled up) and the dams have gone so the only things stopping navigation at the moment is a work boat across the canal at this end and the padlocked stop lock gates at the other end. Since they have removed both dams I can only assume that they are reasonably confident that the repair has worked. Will keep checking tomorrow and each day until Friday but I’m reasonably hopeful that it will be open by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment