Tuesday 10 December 2013

And so to Bradford on Avon (again)



Map reference  ST 82586  59978
  
Distance 5.9 miles

Total 241 Locks 7 Tunnels

Running total mileage 296.8miles

Well things haven’t really been resolved on the engine front although it seems to be pretty clear that it is an electrical problem rather than an engine problem since the engine seems quite happy to continue running. After a considerable delay (a week!) the River and Canal Rescue service shipped out the replacement sensor for the Oil Pressure gauge and unfortunately it hasn’t made any difference at all, the light still comes on and the alarm sounds. None of the local boatyards have any available time at the moment to look at the problem for us so at the moment we have disconnected all of the warning lights and hoping for the best!! Not the best of ideas but the electrics behind the control panel looks pretty complicated (bit like a bird’s nest) so I am reluctant to try to interfere. I have looked at a wiring diagram of the panel and I think that I would put my money on a bunch of faulty diodes. Most of the warning lights have some sort of problem, the engine pre-heat light is permanently glimmering and both the Oil Pressure Light and Engine Temperature Warning light and alarm come on (when connected) as soon as the engine is started, the only common factor I can see with all these lights is the bank of diodes which I suspect have become ‘leaky’ allowing current to leak back through the contacts. We will continue our travels and sometime in the New Year when I can get a boat electrician to look at it will see if my hunch is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment